Yamaha DG Stomp/ Boss GT-10




I took it from a music store near my previous office in Shibuya for about $200. I'd always wanted this when I was in Boston, but hey the best place to buy Japanese stuff is, without a doubt, Japan. So I decided to have it once I come back.

The cab type of Yamaha DG was behind my guitar hero Allan holdsworth for a while. But I bought two Fender Hot Rods because I really never liked any digital amps I used.

I had two Ampeg Reverb Rocket 212s previously, that proved to be too bulky to fit in 240 sx that I used to drive. So once in the US, I seek a little smaller ones. Hot Rods fit into the luggage compartment of 87 Merc Couger and 97 T-bird with two guitars (Godin/Ibanez hard cases) and a pedal board (with GT-5 and ROD,) being disguised from the outside of the car and reducing some theft risk.

The tone characteristics of DG Stomp is somewhat different from the digital preamps of today, since it is not really "fully digital" so to speak, and how it reacts to the intonation you deliver to your guitar remids you of the true tube heads.

One thing about DG Stomp that discourages your creativity is the quality of effects, especially comp and chorus. In general, any other function of the pedal is insufficient in quality I would say, and you have to have another DSP Units between your guitar and amp. It's just that the preamp section is extremely good and making the other effects looking bad.

All of the posted music samples of my composition/arrangements were recorded with DG and some VST plugin effects.



The latest of the GT series. I traded in the GT5 that I liked simply because I found I don't need anything other than GT10. Somehow I did not like the GT8 preamp selections as I tried back in 4 years. Neither did I like those of GT5. So once I included another pedal with a tube in it together with GT5 on my board for about eight years or so...

Now that the preamps sound good enough to skip the tube pedal, I went proceed to update my GT5 to GT10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KORG Trinity Pro with HDR Option/ ROLAND PCR-M80

Yamaha Melodion